Self-Management Mental Health Toolkits
Its difficult to learn all the self-management options for Mental Health, so, with the help of service users, carer's and professionals we developed Self-Management Mental Health Toolkits for Depression, Anxiety and Bipolar Disorder. Each toolkit contains 30 family friendly, laminated, A6 cards, with quick tips and reminders on one side and the details and information on each technique, therapy or strategy on the reverse- Perfect for both self-management and for working with support. Our cards include an introduction to warning signs, symptoms, triggers and self-management, as well as details on Acceptance, Knowledge and Guidance. Plus, 2 Guided Breathing Exercises AND 20+ management strategies including Pet Therapy, Laughter Therapy, Music Therapy, CBT, Mindfulness and Aromatherapy Therapy.
Our Self Management Toolkits for Depression, Anxiety and Bipolar Disorder are available to buy through our Store.
Disclaimer; Our Self-Management Mental Health Toolkits have been designed and created with the help of service users and carers. They are not intended to a diagnostic tool, nor to replace any pre-existing support, services or medication. Always consult a medical professional for advice and support.
Since the loss of the previous LGBTQ support in Whitehaven (back in July 2015) we have established and launched support for those struggling with their gender identity or sexuality.
By working in collaboration with Carlisle and Barrow services we have been able to offer provisions for those aged 8-24 years old and their families in Copeland since 2016.
Further details are available on request.
Sign Language Classes
Our Basic Introduction to Sign Language classes and our Family Sign days have been very popular.
New dates are announced as and when we know them.
Face Painting, Glitter Tattoo's and Hair Feathers
As an additional community project we even get to have some fun and bring the sparkles & paints- you may have seen us at The Whitehaven Carnival, Egremont Crab Fair, Carlisle PRIDE or at private parties
We keep our prices low to meet the needs in our area and any profits we make goes into funding our other projects.
We offer Face Painting, Glitter Tattoo's and Hair Feathers for your parties, events and fundraisers- simply email us for a quote!
Check out some of our work on the 'Glitter Tattoo's and more' page.
QUALITY AND SAFETY; After all, the last thing you want is a nasty reaction at a party. For this reason, we only ever use Snazaroo face paints, as well as official body glue and body glitters. Snazaroo hold their products to the highest standards of quality and safety. Snazaroo face paints are paraben free, fragrance-free and specially-formulated to be gentle on delicate skin and as such are not hazardous to health or the environment. All Snazaroo face paints are water-based, making them as easy to take off (For face paints, simply remove with soap and warm water, or with babywipes; there is no need for scrubbing or harsh removers and for our glitter tattoo's simply soak the tattoo in baby oil, breaking down the body glue and allowing for easy removal).
FREE Mental health sessions- Weekly (Ex. Bank Hols)
Our 'Connect' sessions run every Friday 11am-2pm from Hensingham Starting Jan 24th 2020
- everyone is welcome, whether you're wanting to meet new people, feeling isolated, looking for mental health support/ Management or advice, or just wanting to know what's offered in our area, it's FREE and our volunteers are trained in mental health awareness, coping skills, alternative and complimentary therapies and so much more.
Mental Health support, Coping Skills & mentorship sessions
We now offer mental health support & mentorship sessions in the community through a tailored package to improve management skills, coping skills and confidence. Referrals are now being taken through the Choices programme and local job centre's, Contact the Choices team on the number opposite, or to discuss private one-to-one or group bookings Contact us directly on 07516319860.
Choices Sessions and Coffee mornings for participants on the programme; funded by The National Lottery Community Fund and the European Social Fund
As part of our work with the Choices Programme, Groundwork, Impact and Cumbria Youth Alliance, we're running emotional resilience sessions with young people as well as coffee mornings and activated for adults
FREE Tinnitus Peer Support Group MONTHLY at Hensingham on the 3rd Tuesday of each month...
JAN 21st, FEB 18th, MAR 17th, APRIL 21st, MAY 19th, JUNE 16th, JULY 21st, AUG 18th, SEPT 15th,
OCT 20th, NOV 17th & DEC 15th
Silent Footprints; A NEW Peer Support Group for those who have experienced baby loss; First Wednesday of each month at Hensingham (10am-11.30am) & Last Monday of every motnh at The Senhouse Centre, Whitehaven (7-8pm).
With Thanks to funding from Cumbria County Council; This Peer Support Group is for anyone who has suffered pregnancy loss- at any stage of miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, still birth, medical termination and infant loss.
Receive help and support from others who have been there.
Defence Lab self-defence classes and FREE pop-up sessions
We're pleased to be working with Defence Lab to bring you FREE self-defence pop-up sessions on the 2nd Saturday of every month at Hensingham.
Email for more info.
Support for Parents and Carers of those with Eating Disorders
We're pleased to announce a NEW PEER SUPPORT GROUP for the parents/carers of those with Eating Disorders.
We'll be meeting at Hensingham on the First Sunday of every month (Starting Nov 3rd) 11am-12.00
Feel free to call by for a chat, or stay for the duration. Tea and Coffee Provided
Contact Kerry on 07807977268 for more details
Support and sessions for the Deaf Community- Starting Feb 2020
We're pleased to announce the NEW provisions for the Deaf community in the local area; with thanks to Funding from Well Whitehaven, Top of the Shops Café and both Hazel Todd & Rebecca Kiggins for offering to run the provisions.
If you're part of the Deaf Community- Join us Feb 4th for the first session 7-9pm on Mirehouse
Compass in Cumbria E-HUB
Do you run a not-for-profit organisation, charity, support group or social club?
And do you want more people to know you are there?
-COMPASS IN CUMBRIA is a FREE online site to allow your services and groups to be access by anyone. To sign up your organisation or group- or email
Basic Introduction to Sign Language and Accredited BSL 1 Courses Available
We will be announcing rescheduled dates for ALL Sign Language classes as soon as possible. If you're interested in joining us when lessons start back at Whitehaven, feel free to get in touch.
Alternatively, if you know a group of people interested in classes in alternative locations- let us know. We aim to grow our sign provisions over 2020/21.
Sign Language sessions to book...
We're pleased to announce a NEW Service... You can now book private or group sessions to learn BSL.
Sessions can be arranged and tailored for your school, group, business or need.
Contact us for more details, quotes or bookings
FREE Family Sign Days...
We're pleased to announce the newdates for our FREE FAMILY SIGN DAYS in the Summer Holidays at Hensingham.
Join us Tuesday 11th August (11-2pm) or Saturday 29th August (11-2pm)
All you need is a packed lunch!
Email to book YOUR places
With thanks to Pet Encounters Cumbria, we are pleased to announce our Animal Therapy sessions for the summer holidays; email to book your places for Monday Aug 10th or Wed Aug 26th at Hensingham
Huge congratulations to two of our Team Lead's who are now qualified ASSIST trainers... keep an eye out for training dates being announced!
UPDATE TO OUR GROUPS, SERVICES AND PROVISIONS
Due to Coronavirus (covid-19) we now have restrictions on some services, some still closed, some online and others starting back at reduced numbers, with social distancing and additional cleaning measures. Please see additional details below on each service...
* Sign language classes- STARTED ON ZOOM in order to finish any classes cut short from the closure and BSL 1 Exams booked. Further classes will be considered in the coming months.
* Deaf Haven (Support and meet-ups for the Deaf community)- LOOK FOR US ON FACEBOOK, while we consider options to restart face-to-face. One-to-one options available by video call.
* Silent Footprints baby loss support- NOW RETURNING FACE-TO-FACE WITH RESTRICTED NUMBERS/ADDITIONAL MEASURES, along with online and telephone support options. Contact Gail on 07825152936.
* LGBTQ+ provisions (support for those 8-24 yrs living in Copeland and Allerdale) - NOW RETURNING FACE-TO-FACE WITH RESTRICTED NUMBERS/ADDITIONAL MEASURES, along with online and telephone support options.
* CONNECT Mental health drop ins- NOW RETURNING FACE-TO-FACE WITH RESTRICTED NUMBERS/ADDITIONAL MEASURES, along with online and telephone support options.
* W.C Eating Disorder parent support- NOW RETURNING FACE-TO-FACE WITH RESTRICTED NUMBERS/ADDITIONAL MEASURES, along with online and telephone support options. Contact Kerry on 07807977268.
* Gardening Club- NOW RETURNING FACE-TO-FACE WITH RESTRICTED NUMBERS/ADDITIONAL MEASURES.
* Tinnitus group- NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE. Contact us, or Rebecca Kiggins for more details.
* First Aid Training (AUG)- PLACES AVAILABLE WITH RESTRICTED NUMBERS/ADDITIONAL MEASURES. £50 per place
* Coping skills sessions, Alternative & Complimentary Therapy sessions- AVAILABLE BY REQUEST/BOOKING (WITH RESTRICTIONS).
* Compass E-Hub- SUPPORT AVAILABLE ONLINE AND BY PHONE.
* The Wellbeing Forum- NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE. Check out their Facebook page for more details.
* Suicide Alertness training- NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE. Please contact Every Life Matters for more details and information.
* Fitness classes, Exercise classes, Weight Loss and Herbalife- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE FACE-TO-FACE. Please see 24 Wellness Club online or contact Neil Wilkinson for access to the online training, fitness options and support.
* Defence Lab Self-defence sessions- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE.
* Work experience- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE.
* Accredited Safeguarding Training- CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE.
Feel Free to contact us for further info
In the meantime... we are still taking referrals 😊
Additional online options
Gardening Club & outdoor options for 1-2-1s
Online shopping from your sofa?
You could also be helping Always Another Way, Cumbria raise much needed funds for FREE!
Over 4,000 online retailers including John Lewis, Argos, Uswitch, eBay and M&S are ready to give a free donation every time you shop online.
It only takes 2 minutes to sign up: